Articles and presentations
Over the years, I have written various articles, and spoken at a many events. Below is a list of my publications, with links to the full text where possible. See also my pages on
Connotea where I have listed articles and websites of interest from other authors and organizations.
- Sowden, P. and Smart, P. 2000. Careers in Journal
Publishing. ALPSP, London.
- Smart, P. 2002. Editorial debate: Free information? Tropical Medicine & International
Health, 7, 639.[DOI:10.1046/j.1365-3156.2002.00920.x]
- Smart, P. 2003. E-journals: developing country access survey. Learned Publishing 16(2): 143-148. [DOI:
- Smart, P. 2004. Two-way traffic: Information exchange between the developing and developed world.
Serials, 17(2):183-187. [DOI: 10.1629/17183]
- Smart, P., Pearce, C. and Tonukari, J. 2004. E-publishing in developing economies.
Canadian Journal of Communication [Online], 29(3) www.cjc-online.ca/viewarticle.php?id=837.
- Smart, P. 2004. Access to African journals: the African Journals OnLine (AJOL) initiative. In:
Proceedings of the CODESRIA workshop on Conference on electronic publishing and
dissemination. CODESRIA: Senegal.
- Smart, P. 2004. International Network for the Availability of Scientific Publications: Facilitating Scientific Publishing in Developing Countries. PLoS Biology 2(11): 1720-1722. [DOI:
- Smart, P.2005. Increasing the Visibility of Published Research - African Journals OnLine (AJOL).
Africa Today 52(2) 39-53. <full
- Smart, P. 2005. African Journals Online (AJOL). Serials Review 31(4), 261-265
- Babini, D. and Smart, P. 2006. Using digital libraries to provide online access to social science journals in Latin America.
Learned Publishing 19(2),107-113 [DOI: 10.1087/095315106776387048]
- Smart, P. 2006. Review of "The Principle of Access" by John Willinsky. The Lancet 367:1809-1810 [DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(06)68788-6]
- Smart, P. 2006. Strategies for online publishing [Estrategia de planeamiento de la edicion en linea] [ in Spanish]. In:
Edicion Electronica, Bibliotecas Virtuales y Portales para las Ciencias Sociales en America Latina y el
Caribe. Ed. Dominique Babini and Jorge Fraga. CLACSO Libros, Argentina, pp 35-54.
- Ouya, D. and Smart, P. 2006. Open Access survey of Africa-published journals. Paper presented at the CODESRIA-ASC Conference Series 2006: Electronic Publishing and Dissemination: Threats and Opportunities in the Digital Era. Leiden, The Netherlands, September 6 - 8, 2006.
- Hussein, J. and Smart, P. 2007. Journal publishing in Africa. In African Scholarly Publishing
Essays. Ed. A. Mlambo. African Books Collective and INASP, Oxford, UK, pp. 172-3.
- Smart, P. 2007 The end of the African Journal? Research
Africa. July 2007. Available online
- Smart, P. 2007. Journals - the wrong model for Africa? Learned
Publishing 20, 311-313 [DOI: 10.1087/095315107X225415]
- Smart, P. 2009. The status and future of the African journal. In: The Future of the Academic Journal. Eds B. Cope and A. Phillips. UK, Chandos Publishing, pp.283-300.
- Smart, P. 2012. Is anyone stealing your articles? Exploding copyright myths. Medical Writing 21, 294-297, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1179/2047480612Z.00000000070
- Smart, P. 2012. Publishing an article in an online journal. In
Scientific Writing for Agricultural Research Scientists (a training reference
manual), Ed. A Youdeowei. Netherlands, CTA
- Smart P., Maisonneuve H. and Polderman A. (eds) 2013 (in press) Science Editors' Handbook.
European Association of Science Editors, UK.
I have spoken at a variety of conferences, meetings, workshops and informal in-house presentations. I have also chaired sessions at several conferences. Examples include speaking at the International Association of Agricultural Librarians, at the UKSG meeting, The Council of Science Editors annual conference, the Society of Scholarly Publishers meeting, and at several ALPSP annual conferences.
The world of journals (presentation to Journal of Zhejiang University, Hanzhou, China, 2012)
A publishing revolution fuelled by technology (presentation during the European Scientific Conference on Applied Infectious Disease Epidemiology (ESCAIDE), Stockholm, Sweden, 2011)
Adventures in Peer Review (presentation given at the conference of Eastern Mediteranean Association of Medical Editors, Karachi, Pakistan, December 2010)
The potential of distance learning courses (presentation given at the IPA International Congress, Seoul, Korea June 2008)