I provide both face-to-face training and online course development. I specialise on providing training for journal editors (see the Medical Editors
page, and my online course for 2020).
I also provide training and presentations for publishers and editors on the following topics, adapted to meet the needs of the target audience. Ideally all workshops are fully intereactive with
debate and discussion to enable participants to examine issues of particular interest to them.
- The world of journals - new developments, initiatives and models
- International journal standards
- Launching new journals
- The role of editors, editorial teams and making the best of editorial boards
- Working with authors: Securing the best content
- Working with reviewers - how to be a peer reviewer and how to manage the peer review process
- Raising journal and article visibility
- Developing a journal (either from an editorial or publishing perspective)
- Ethics for editors and publishers
- Assessing impact: bibliometrics and alternative metrics
- Legal aspects of editing (copyright, plagiarism, moral rights)
For any enquiries, please email me. I am happy to develop single- or multi-day courses for editorial or publishing groups and regularly
run courses on request from individual journals and publishers.
I have developed several distance learning, blended, online courses. These include the following:
- An online course for the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) on copyright and sellling rights.
- An online course for editors of a large publisher to support and encourage better ethical practices
- Two online courses on how to become a successful journal editor, and how to review articles, written for PKP School
- A blended learning course for ALPSP on an introduction to journals.
NOTE: See also my 2020 online medical editors' course.